January 13, 2021
Dear DCS Parents,
As we continue to navigate the COVID-19 crisis, the safety and well-being of our children, families, and staff remains our highest priority.
For that reason, we wanted to share with you that an individual in our school community tested positive for COVID-19 and is currently under a doctor’s care. This individual was last on campus on Monday, January 11, 2021. We wish this individual a speedy recovery.
We have consulted with San Joaquin County Public Health Services and out of an abundance of caution, we will be closing Discovery Charter School, grades 5th – 8th so that these students and staff can self-quarantine to monitor for symptoms. Any DCS siblings can continue to attend campus classes. During this time, we will conduct a deep cleaning by our custodial service. We anticipate this 5th through 8th grade DCS Students and their staff will return on Monday, January 25, 2021. If your child is presenting symptoms, we would encourage you to contact your physician and if your child is tested please make us aware so we can make the most informed decisions for our school. All of our DCS Students will need to go online through Jan. 22, 2021, for virtual learning.
We have been taking and will continue to take the following precautions:
- Staff members wear facial coverings while caring for children
- Temperatures are taken of all students and staff and any elevated temp over 100.4 prevents this individual from entering school grounds
- Students/Staff with COVID symptoms are sent home immediately
- Continuous Cleaning and disinfecting all areas along with lunch tables thoroughly disinfected between lunch groups
- Seating areas are socially distanced
- Focus on handwashing and disinfecting throughout the day
- Bathrooms are continuously monitored with only two students allowed in at a time
- Repeated disinfecting/cleaning on “high touch” areas throughout the day (including desks, doors, public spaces, and bathroom fixtures)
Thank you for your understanding and partnership as we navigate these uncharted waters and support one another through these uncertain times. We profoundly regret any anxiety this causes you and your family. We will continue to monitor the situation and update you on any additional developments.